If you’ve got a yearning for fish n’ chips, tea and drizzle, you’re probably considering undertaking further study in the UK. (There are also one or two good universities around, you’ll be pleased to know.)
UK education doesn’t come cheap these days, making scholarships and similar funding opportunities highly sought-after. Although this means that scholarship funding is extremely competitive, it also means a growing number of scholarships are being offered as UK universities seek to attract the most talented international students.
Below is a selection of scholarships to study in the UK, some funded by the UK government, some by external organizations, and many by individual UK universities.
Government-funded UK scholarships for international students
- British Chevening Scholarships – UK scholarships for international students funded by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office and partner organizations. The scholarships provide full or part funding for full-time graduate programs in any subject.
- Commonwealth Scholarships for Developing Commonwealth Countries – Scholarships for international students from developing countries in the Commonwealth, for studies at master’s and PhD level. The full list of eligible countries is available here.
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme at UK Universities – UK scholarships for international students undertaking taught master’s programs in the UK. Programs studied must be demonstrably relevant to the development of technology, economy or society within the student’s country of origin.
Non-governmental UK scholarships for international students
- Euraxess UK – Euraxess is an initiative of the European Commission, providing support for researchers in Europe. The UK branch of the scheme is run by the British Council, offering various graduate research scholarships for international students from around the world.
- CastleSmart Scholarship - Estate agent CastleSmart offers £6,000 annually for an undergraduate student in the UK (open to all nationalities). Applicants must create a compelling YouTube video outlining their study and career plans.
For African students:
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship Programme – Need-based UK scholarships for international students from Africa.
- Tullow Group Scholarships Scheme – Scholarships available for students from selected countries in Africa and South America. Includes full tuition fees, a monthly stipend, travel costs and other allowances.
For Armenian students:
- The Luys Scholarship Program – Awards loans or scholarships to Armenian students to study at the world’s top universities, including the UK universities of Oxford and Cambridge.
For Chinese students:
- Great Britain China Center Chinese Student Awards – Awards of up to UK£3,000 are available for Chinese citizens (including those from Hong Kong) studying for a PhD in any subject at a UK university.
For French students:
- Entente Cordiale Scholarships – Scholarships to study in the UK for French students pursuing postgraduate study.
For Indian students:
- Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships – UK scholarships for doctoral students, research students and visiting fellows from India.
- Goa Education Trust Scholarships – UK scholarships for Goan students to undertake postgraduate study in the UK in any field.
- Saltire Scholarships – Scholarships for students from Canada, the US, India and China to study in Scotland at any degree level.
For Pakistani students:
- Charles Wallace Pakistan Trust Scholarships – UK charity offering scholarships to study in the UK to Pakistani doctoral students, graduate researchers or visiting fellows.
University-specific UK scholarships for international students
- Bristol University International Scholarships – UK scholarships for international students to study at Bristol University on any undergraduate or postgraduate program.
- University of Birmingham International Postgraduate Scholarships – Various scholarships for master’s students to study at the University of Birmingham.
- Cardiff University Elite International Scholarships – Bachelor’s and master’s degree UK scholarships for international students to study at Cardiff University in Wales.
- Clarendon Scholarships at University of Oxford – Sponsored by Oxford University Press, the Clarendon Fund offers UK scholarships to full- and part-time graduate students at the University of Oxford.
- University of Edinburgh Global Scholarships – Various UK scholarship programs for graduate international students enrolling at Scotland’s University of Edinburgh. Special awards offered to students from developing countries, students Global Health Academy programs, and students from Latin America.
- Gates Cambridge Scholarships for International Students – Offering full UK scholarships for international students to study in the UK at Cambridge University. For full-time postgraduate students only.
- University of Nottingham International Scholarships – Various scholarships available at all study levels.
- Rhodes Scholarships at Oxford University for International Students – Merit-based UK scholarships for master’s and PhD students to study at Oxford University.
- Swansea University Undergraduate Scholarships – A selection of undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships, available to students from various regions, including the EU, Asia and the Middle East.
- University of West London International Ambassador Scholarships – Offering up to 50 scholarships for international students to study in the UK and to be ambassadors of their home country. Open to both undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- University of Westminster Scholarships for International Students – UK scholarships for master’s students enrolled at the University of Westminster. Awards are offered based on academic merit and financial need. There are also scholarships available for international undergraduate students.
This article was originally published in September 2014. It was updated in January 2016.
Want more content like this? Register for free site membership to get regular updates and your own personal content feed.