In the UK just 13% of all STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) jobs are filled by women, while in the US only 11% of technology startups have female founders or CEOs. Similar statistics are reported across the world in male-dominated industries such as business, engineering and technology.
Will the gender disparity in male-dominated industries ever change? The answer seems to be yes, but gradually. Helping to speed up the process are various organizations offering scholarships for women preparing for careers in male-dominated industries. Often the funding is accompanied by additional support, including mentorship and special events or workshops.
Below is a selection of global and region-specific scholarships for women in male-dominated industries, including scholarships for women in engineering and science, scholarships for women in technology and scholarships for women in business.
Scholarships for women in engineering and science
- Amelia Earhart fellowship – international scholarships for women pursuing doctorates or PhDs in aerospace-related science or engineering subjects.
- AOE National Foundation Scholarships – scholarships for women in engineering or technical science-related programs at universities in the US.
- APS/IBM Research Internship for Undergraduate Women – scholarships for women in engineering and scientific fields wanting to continue their studies at postgraduate level.
- AWAM Scholarships – US scholarships for women studying aviation.
- Center for Women In Technology (CWIT) Scholars Program at UMBC – US scholarships for female undergraduate students at the University of Maryland Baltimore County majoring in STEM subjects.
- Leatrice Gregory Pendray Scholarship – US scholarships for women in engineering, awarded by the AIAA Foundation.
- L’Oréal-UNESCO Women in Science Fellowships – awarded to female students within the UK and Ireland studying in scientific fields.
- Southern Automotive Women’s Forum Scholarship – scholarships for women in engineering and other STEM-related degree subjects, for students who wish to pursue careers in the automotive industry upon graduation. For citizens of states within the Southern US.
- Susan E. Stutz-McDonald Scholarship Foundation – US scholarships awarded to female students studying environmental engineering.
- SWE Scholarship Program – US scholarships for women in engineering from the Society of Women Engineers.
- Very Early Career Woman Physicist Prize – sponsored by Shell and the Institute of Physics, this award is for female UK students pursuing careers in Physics.
- The WEST Fund – WEST (Women in Engineering, Science and Technology) provides small bursaries for women in STEM-related studies within Sheffield in the UK.
- Women’s Engineering Society Awards – a number of scholarships for women in engineering studying in the UK.
- Women’s Transportation Seminar (WTS) Scholarships – scholarships for women pursuing careers in transportation.
- M. Hildred Blewett Scholarship for Women in Physics – for women interested in pursuing careers in physics research after having had their further studies interrupted for family reasons. For US or Canadian citizens with an affiliation to a research institution or national lab.
Scholarships for women in technology
- ESA Foundation Computer and Video Game Scholarship – scholarships for women and other underrepresented students pursuing degrees in computer and video game arts. For study in the US.
- Palantir Scholarships for Women in Technology –international scholarships for women in STEM subjects.
- The Center for Women in Technology – scholarships for women in technology or engineering studying at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, US.
- The Google Anita Borg Scholarship – global scholarships for minority women to pursue degrees in technology and computing.
- VIP Women In Technology Scholarship (WITS) – for women wishing to study in the fields of IT, computer science, management information systems and related fields. Available to US citizens only.
- Women At Microsoft (WAM) Scholarship Fund – for female employees at Microsoft to undertake further study in information technology.
Scholarships for women in business
- Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarship – international scholarships for women in business wishing to study business management at undergraduate and master’s level.
- Nashville ATHENA Award Program – scholarships for women in business living in Nashville, US, planning to study business or leadership at degree level.
- The Asian Women In Business Scholarship – scholarships for exceptional Asian women (who are US citizens) who demonstrate leadership, entrepreneurship and a strong academic history.
- Wilmington Women in Business Fresh Start Scholarship – a number of scholarships for women in business, particularly aimed at professional women returning to education. For US citizens.
Other scholarships for women in male-dominated industries
- Association for Women in Mathematics Scholarships – scholarships for pre-university students, undergraduates, postgraduates and researchers in the US.
- Laurels Fund Scholarships – scholarships for women pursuing advanced degrees in accounting.
- Gertrude M. Cox Scholarship in Statistics for Women – scholarships to encourage more women to enter statistically oriented professions. Applicants must be US or Canadian citizens enrolled in a graduate statistics program.
Want more content like this?Register for free site membership to get regular updates and your own personal content feed.