Bournemouth University (BU) is situated on the beautiful south coast of England, less than two hours from London. The BU community includes over 17,300 students of which more than 2,200 are international students from around 120 countries. We have plenty to offer our students with enthusiastic, committed staff and excellent facilities and a strong record of graduate employment. We offer professionally-orientated education, helping to prepare you for your future and to set you up with a fulfilling and secure career. Here are just some of the reasons you should study at BU:
- BU Graduate employment rates are consistently high at over 93% and BU has more students on a work placement than any other university in Great Britain.
- Our Faculty of Media and Communication is designated as the only Centre for Excellence in Media Practice in the UK (www.cemp.ac.uk) and is home to the National Centre for Computer Animation (NCCA) whose graduates now work for major companies in the entertainment industry and have been involved in major films such as Gravity, Harry Potter and Interstellar.
- The School of Tourism has been designated as a Centre of Excellence in Tourism by the UK's Institute of Travel and Tourism.
- In 2012, BU was awarded the The Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education for its contribution to world-leading excellence and pioneering development in computer animation. English language requirements for the majority of our taught courses are a minimum of IELTS (Academic) 6.0 or equivalent, although for some courses the grades required may be higher.
- The BU International College offers a range of preparatory programmes which gives you the opportunity to study in Bournemouth and prepare successfully for entry onto your chosen course. Visit www.bournemouth.ac.uk/international-college.
Facilities and Services
We can guarantee accommodation to all international students starting their course in September who apply before the middle of August. Assistance is also given to students who begin their course in January. Open access computing centres are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and all students are provided with free access to high speed broadband internet. The BU Library Service offers the largest database of downloadable materials in any UK institution, with over 250,000 items available, including more than 120,000 text books. The Libraries have extended opening hours to maximise your study time and house over 500 networked computers. To assist you in your study and social life, BU is home to an award-winning Students' Union, an active Varsity Sports department (SportBU), over 100 clubs and societies and more than 30 different support services. A subsidised University bus service operates between the campuses. We organise an Orientation Programme for all new international students starting in September.