Sogang university was established by the Society of Jesus to provide an education based on Catholic belief and inspired by the Jesuit educational philosophy, in conformity with the Korean tradition of education.
Sogang University's goal is to educate the whole human person on foundations of love and faith, encouraging all its members to be intent on the pursuit of learning in a sincere quest for truth.
Through this education, we aim to cultivate people of talent who will devote their lives to the development of a humanistic culture and the union of all mankind.
< Educational Goals>
As an educational institution under the guidance of the Society of Jesus, Sogang University aims to provide an education that teaches the veneration of God and an understanding of life's true meaning, according to the tradition established by Jesuit universities throughout the world over the last 460 years.
The education offered at Sogang University is designed to form intellectuals who combine academic excellence and creative originality, following the Jesuit tradition that has always pursued qualitative prominence.
It is designed to train citizens with outstanding leadership abilities, able to contribute to society and the nation in a spirit of devotion and a sense of responsibility, with mature and integrated characters, true cosmopolitans able to contribute to the national prosperity and world peace, equipped with an understanding of the changes the world is undergoing and the current of the times, and able to respond to them with sound critical judgment.
* Founded: 1960
* President: Dr. Jongwook Lee
1 Shinsu-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul 121-742, Korea
3 subway stations near the university: Sinchon station (Line #2), Ewha Womans University (Line #2), Daeheung Station (Line #6)
31 buildings, 50 acres
- Undergraduate Students: 11,516
- Graduate Students: 3,581
- International Students: 470
- Faculty (full-time): 374
- Faculty (adjunct): 607
164 institutional collaborations in 48 countries. Over 400 students study abroad every year and around 2,450 international students study annually at Sogang in various academic programs.
o Undergraduate Programs
- School of Humanities
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Natural Sciences
- School of Engineering
- School of Economics
- Sogang Business School (Undergraduate Program)
- School of Communication
o Graduate Programs
- The Graduate School
- Professional Graduate Schools
* Graduate School of International Studies
* Sogang Business School (Graduate Programs)
* Graduate School of Media Communications
* Graduate School of Theology
* Law School
- Special Graduate Programs
* Graduate School of Public Policy
* Graduate School of Education
* Graduate School of Economics
* Graduate School of Mass Communication
* Graduate School of Information and Technology
[Life at Sogang]
The Gonzaga Hall is located on campus. It was opened in August 2008 for Korean and international students. It holds a total capacity of 950 persons. On-campus Accommodation(double rooms, two meals included/day): KRW 1,882,500 (For 2009)
There are a total of 75 student clubs and associations currently at Sogang University including Taekwondo, Korean traditional music, Korean traditional dance clubs, and many more related to the Korean culture. Students can also participate actively in areas of interest such as sports and music.
Sogang University concentrates on creating a suitable environment for the cultivation of Korea's top global leaders. At Sogang, students can take care of all their needs on a digital campus. Wireless coverage for most classrooms, labs, library and other public spaces.
Loyola Library opened in April, 1960 when the university was established. It was named Loyola Library in honor of the founder of the Society of Jesus. Loyola Library has over 2,500 seats for studying and the collections include 800,000 volumes of monographs, about 6,200 titles of scholarly journals, 40,000 volumes of reference materials. Also it has microform materials, audio and video materials, old and rare materials, Web DB, e-Journals, and e-Books. We hold a "Library Week" every year, and hold regularly "User education" to help users research and study.
- Undergraduate Tuition
* KRW 3,496,000 - KRW 4,569,000 (Humanities - Engineering)
- The Graduate School Tuition
* KRW 4,316,000 - KRW 5,646,000
- Graduate School of International Studies Tuition
* KRW 5,184,000
- Sogang Business School (Graduate Programs) Tuition
* KRW 8,421,000
- Entrance Fee
* KRW 940,000 - KRW 980,000
- School Colors
* Cardinal (Red)
[How to get to Sogang University]
1. By Limousine Bus from Incheon International Airport (ICN)
- Right outside of the arrival floor of the Airport, there are 23 bus stops. You will find a bus stop, "5B or 12A". The limousine bus, numbered 6002, will take you to Shinchon Station. It will take about 50 minutes to get to Shinchon by the limousine bus. The fare for the limousine is 9,000KRW (about USD 7). Sogang University is a 10 minutes' walk from the station.
2. By Taxi from Incheon International Airport
- You may also take a taxi on the first floor of the airport. There are three kinds of taxis; Regular, Deluxe, and Jumbo. The fare of the Regular taxi to Sogang University is approximately 50,000KRW (about USD 39), while the fare of the Deluxe or Jumbo cab costs much more. Make sure to carry enough taxi fee with you because the fee is subject to change.
To get to Sogang, take the green line number 2 and get off at "Shinchon" (stop #240), get out exit 6 and you can arrive at main gate within 5 minutes on foot. Or take the brown line number 6 and get off at "Daeheung" (stop #625), get out exit 1 and you can reach the south gate within 8 minutes on foot.
The basic fare starts at 1,000KRW and increases according to distance. Most announcement signs are in both Korean and English.