Introduction to Universidad de los Andes
Universidad de los Andes was founded in 1948. Activities at Los Andes have always been aimed at achieving excellence, and until now, it is the only private university in the country that has received the Institutional Accreditation from the Ministry of National Education for 9 years, granted in June 2005.
Los Andes has received international accreditation, such as the one granted to the Faculty of Engineering in 1992 by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and the Triple Accreditation granted to the Faculty of Administration by the European Foundation for Management Development (EQUIIS), the Association of MBAs (AMBA) and the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
The University’s campus is located in Bogota’s historical center, an area that houses most of the city’s buildings of cultural interest, universities, and a variety of cultural meeting places such as libraries, museums, theaters, scientiﬁc and literary centers, and art galleries, among others. The campus is largely made up of a mixture of remodeled industrial and religious buildings and newly constructed facilities.
The infrastructure covers 160.000 square meters approximately and includes classrooms, laboratories, library and other services for the students.
Following its tradition, Los Andes strives to hire teachers with the highest academic standards. Currently, it hires 594 full-time teachers, of which 36% have a Master’s degree and 58% have a PhD.
Furthermore, the University has approximately 12.500 undergraduate students, 2.500 in master degree programs and 250 in PhD programs.
The faculties of Engineering, Sciences and Social Sciences—strongly linked with Doctoral programs—publish more than 3 articles a year in international high-impact scientiﬁc magazines, similar to what is produced by young research universities in developed countries.