Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) Undergraduate
UNIVERSITY PUTRA MALAYSIA
Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) formerly known as Universiti Pertanian Malaysia was founded in 1971 through the merger of Faculty of Agriculture, University Malaya and Agriculture College in Serdang.
The first three founder faculties were Faculty of Agriculture, Faculty of Forestry and Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science. UPM maintains its traditional role of education in focussing its tertiary level research on agriculture and its relevant areas.
In early 80's, UPM has expanded its scope by including science and technology into its areas of studies. In 1994, UPM aspired to be the University of the Next Millennium and in line with its vision, the name of Universiti Pertanian Malaysia was changed to Universiti Putra Malaysia by Malaysia's Prime Minister, Dato' Seri Dr. Mahathir Mohamed on April 3, 1997. This is looked upon as a strategic move in preparing UPM as a versatile, higher learning institution that is in tandem with Malaysia's dynamic technology.
Celebrating its 75th anniversary, Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) has established its vision to become a global player with an internationally reputable community of intellectuals who will make the nation proud for their contributions to scholarly writing and discoveries, and continue to give new meaning to the progress, growth and development of the nation and the world. As part of its goal to produce quality graduates who are competitive and resilient through lifelong learning, Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) takes upon itself as one of the driversmaking this vision a reality, albeit within the management discipline.
"The University's mission is to be a leading Centre of Learning and Research, contributing not only towards human advancement and discovery of knowledge but also to the creation of wealth and nation building."
The vision of Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) is to become a world class university, an internationally reputable community of intellectuals who will make the nation proud for their contributions to scholarly writing and discoveries, and continue to give new meaning to the progress, growth and development of the nation and the world.
UPM has established eight (8) goals to realize its vision. Each goal has its own specific objectives. The achievement of each objective depends on the execution of the respective action plan. The eight goals are as follows :
1. To produce quality graduates who are competitive and resilient through lifelong learning;
2. To transform UPM into a renowned research university;
3. To upgrade UPM as a renowned center of learning, agricultural and bio-resources services internationally;
4. To enhance a quality management system that is effective, efficient, transparent and client-friendly;
5. To develop and create excellent human resources and professional environment;
6. To promote an Information and Communication Technology (ICT)culture through e-University;
7. To effectively generate and manage University Financial Resources and
8. To establish UPM as the Center of Professional Development Services and Continuing Education.