Mustansiriyah a symbol that reflects the greatness of the Islamic Arab civilization when Baghdad was the host of the intellectuals and the fountain of Islamic intellectual output , this name belongs to the school established by Abbasi Khalifa ALMustanser in 1227 .
The original Mustansiriya Madrasah, was established in 1227 by the Abbasid Caliph Al-Mustansir and was one of the oldest universities in the world. Its building, on the left bank of the Tigris River, survived the Mongol invasion of 1258 and has been restored.
The modern Al-Mustansiriyah University was established with the help and financial support of the Republic of Ίrāq Teacher’s Union in 1963, mainly providing evening courses. In 1964, the University was given the status of a semi-state institution and some state financial support. At the same time it absorbed Al-Sha’ab University, and then moved to a new campus to the north of the city centre.
The Colleges as follow: