The National Polytechnic School was founded on August 27, 1869 by President Garcia Moreno, who had the support of the Superior of the Society of Jesus. The nascent Polytechnic was conceived as the first center of teaching and scientific research as an inclusive body of the country and as a generator of national development agency. It was the Provincial German Order of the Jesuits, who sent to Ecuador for the nascent Polytechnic, a team of scholars and young religious, with a relevant scientific background, coupled with an unwavering work ethic and exemplary identification with the country . They were: Juan Bautista Menten German first dean, director, German and Italian Teodoro Wolf Luis Sodiro.
In its first stage it has a very short life. The September 15, 1876, President Borrero closes due to political reasons. The February 28, 1935, President Velasco Ibarra signed a decree to reopen the EPN, for studies of Mathematics, Cosmography, Physics, Applied Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Mining Engineering and Geology. The June 4, 1946 by a decree issued by President Velasco Ibarra, in its second magistrate, the name Polytechnic Institute by the National Polytechnic School, with which it has been operating without interruption to this day is changed.