Nizhny Novgorod State Medical Academy is a major center for training medical practitioners in one of the largest regions of the European part of Russia.
The medical faculty was opened in 1920 as a faculty of Nizhny Novgorod University. In May, 1930 it became an independent Medical Institute and in June 1994 it got a status of the State Medical Academy.
In 1992 the Faculty of Overseas Admissions was opened in NNSMA. Since 1998/99 academic year the Academy has started training international students in the English Medium.
More than 600 international students from 38 countries of Asia, Africa and Latin America (Sri-Lanka, Malaysia, Morocco, Tanzania, Kenya, Syria and others) are being trained in Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy. The total number of students is 2500.