First established in 1935, the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science (NVH) is the only institution in Norway that is authorized to offer education and award professional and PhD degrees within the field of veterinary medicine and related sciences. The school is also responsible for the major part of all veterinary research conducted in the country.
NVH is a state owned, autonomous institution of higher education, with university level status. The school has a student body of 470, including 80 doctoral students.
While the main campus is based at Adamstua in Oslo, the Sections for Artic Veterinary Medicine and Small Ruminants are based, respectively, in Tromsø above the arctic circle, and Sandnes in the south west of the country.
In addition, the school runs the national animal hospital and several other clinics serving patients in and around the Oslo area. It also incorporates the central clinical laboratory, the Section for Laboratory Animals, and various other diagnostic clinics and teaching and research stations.