It is of most importance to know the history of our University.
The background of higher education in Tabasco began in 1861 when “Don Victorio Victorino Dueñas “ did all the arrangements, before the President of the Republic “Licenciado Benito Juarez Garcia”, to create a professional teaching center in the state.
This proposal was approved and President Juarez authorized and a budget item of $52,000. 00 pesos from nationalized assets. And in 1879, the first courses were opened at “ Instituto Juarez” by the governor of the state “Dr. Simon Sarlat Nova”, the first director of the Institute was “Manuel Sanchez Marmol.”
In the last two decades of the XIX century the following degrees were offered: Agriculture, Veterinary, Surveying, Notary, Law, Commerce, Pedagogy, Jurisprudence, Pharmacy as well as secondary and high school studies. The enrollment at “Instituto Juarez” was approximately of 100 students per year.
According to the government records of “General Abraham Bandala”, in that same period due to the excessive number of students in the Law degree, the study plans, syllabus and regulations of the Institute were reformed to offer the students a better teaching methodology and also benefit the society of Tabasco.