The history of the University of Žilina (UNIZA) began on 1 September 1953 when the University of Railway Transport was founded by separating from the Czech Technical University in Prague. It gradually became an important pillar of education in the fields of transport, which resulted in the change in the name to the University of Transport. It was moved to Žilina in 1960 where it underwent many transformations, and in 1980 it was renamed again to the University of Transport and Communications. Later in 1996, after broadening its fields of interest and other organisational changes, it was renamed the University of Žilina.
At present there are about 10,000 students being educated at seven faculties in 225 accredited fields of study in all forms and degrees of university studies at the University. In its over 60 years of successful existence it has become the alma mater for more than 70,000 graduates, highly skilled professionals specialising mostly in transport and technical fields as well as in management, marketing or humanities. The quality and readiness of our graduates for the needs of practice is proved by long-term high interest in hiring them by employers that cooperate with the University in the recruitment process.