“To provide the means of instruction by the establishment of a school of pharmacy in which shall be taught those branches of knowledge essential to the education of an apothecary; to invite a spirit of pharmaceutical investigation and research…”
The original objectives of the University, drafted in 1821, were based on the traditional roles of the academy—teaching, research, and service. The proud legacy of University of the Sciences began when 68 Philadelphia apothecaries met in Carpenters’ Hall in 1821 to establish improved scientific standards and to train more competent apprentices and students. These visionaries sought to enhance their vocation, as well as protect public welfare. A year later, they organized and incorporated the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy (PCP), the first college of pharmacy in North America. Thus, education in the profession of pharmacy in the U.S. was born.
At University of the Sciences, we are building on a life sciences legacy begun almost two centuries ago as Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, which remains one of our four colleges today. From treating, researching, and studying diseases and cures on a molecular level to the medicines that improve the lives of people worldwide, USciences is about moving life forward.