As computer science technologies and systems increasingly dominate every area of modern life, graduates in this field are likely to find themselves in ever higher demand. And as this “subject of the future” grows scope and popularity, there are also growing numbers of dedicated scholarships for computer science students on offer, including funding to study computer science at some of the world’s most prestigious institutions.
Below is a list of computer science scholarships and other funding opportunities for those studying degrees in STEM subjects (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), focusing on opportunities in the US and the UK. We’ve also listed some scholarships specifically targeted at women in computer science, which aim to support more balanced gender representation in the sector.
- Google Europe Scholarship for Students with Disabilities – European scholarships for computer science students with disabilities. Open to students of all levels studying in Europe.
- Microsoft Scholarship Program – STEM scholarships for students pursuing degrees in computer science as well as other STEM-related subjects at undergraduate level in the United States, Canada or Mexico. Priority given to underrepresented students.
- Imperial College London World Scientific Scholarship – STEM scholarships offered to students from selected Asian countries who hold an offer for an undergraduate degree at the college. Awarded on the basis of both academic merit and financial need. The university also offers President's Undergraduate Scholarships which are awarded to STEM students who show great academic excellence and potential. No separate application is required as all applicants are automatically considered.
- QMUL Science and Engineering Excellence Scholarships – Merit-based scholarships open to undergraduate students studying within the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Queen Mary University of London.
- Royal Holloway, University of London Computer Science Scholarships – All new undergraduate applicants for computer science degrees at the university will be considered for this merit-based scholarship.
- University of Birmingham Scholarships – Computer science scholarships for students studying at all levels in the School of Computer Science at the University of Birmingham.
- University of Bristol Barry Thomas Scholarship in Computer Science – Computer science scholarships for outstanding first-year international students studying in the UK at the University of Bristol.
- University of Edinburgh Masters Scholarship in High Performance Computing – Merit-based scholarships available to students studying High Performance Computing (with or without Data Science) at the University of Edinburgh in the UK.
- University of York Department of Computer Science Postgraduate Scholarships – Merit-based scholarships for UK, EU and international students of the university.
- AFB Paul and Ellen Ruckes Scholarship – Engineering and computer science scholarships awarded to full-time undergraduate and graduate students studying in the US who are blind or visually impaired. All applicants must be US citizens.
- AFCEA STEM Majors Scholarships – STEM scholarships for US students majoring in any STEM subject at undergraduate or graduate level.
- Banatao Family Filipino American Education Fund – STEM and computer science scholarships awarded to Northern Californian students of Filipino heritage.
- Betty Stevens Frecknall Scholarship – Computer science scholarships for AITP members enrolled on full-time undergraduate STEM programs in the US. For US residents only.
- Citigroup Fellows Program – Various FAME (finance, accounting, management and economics) and computer science scholarships and mentorships funded by Citigroup Foundation. Open to US students only.
- CyberCorps: Scholarship for Service – Scholarships for computer science and technology students, in return for service within the federal government (e.g. information security roles) upon graduation.
- Dr. Robert W. Sims Memorial Scholarship – US scholarships for computer science and STEM students studying in Florida at an accredited university. Open to residents of Florida only.
- ESA Foundation Scholarship Program – Undergraduate scholarships for minority students and women to pursue degrees in computer and video game arts. US students only.
- ExCEL Computing Scholarships – US scholarships for computer science students enrolled at an accredited university in the US. Click the link for information particular to Loyola University Chicago or ask the admissions advisors at your chosen university.
- HENAAC Scholars Program – Engineering and computer science scholarships for Hispanic students enrolled on an undergraduate technical degree. Click here for more scholarships for Hispanic students.
- IEEE Presidents’ Scholarship – US scholarships for the winners of the Intel ISEF competition. Open to US students only. Winning students will demonstrate strong knowledge in STEM fields.
- NSA Stokes Educational Scholarship Program – US scholarships for computer science and electrical engineering students, in return for one year of service at the NSA (National Security Agency) upon graduation. US students only.
- Sarder Scholarship Program – Scholarships for computer science and IT students, funded by NetCom Learning. Open to US students only.
- SMART Scholarships – Undergraduate and postgraduate STEM scholarships offered by The National Defense Education Program. Open only to US students able to attend summer internship programs.
- Wayne V. Black Memorial Scholarship Award – STEM and computer science scholarship opportunity from ENTELEC. Open to US students only.
- West Virginia Engineering, Science and Technology Scholarship Program – STEM scholarships for US students wanting to work in West Virginia upon graduation. Priority given to residents of West Virginia.
- Xerox Minority Scholarships – Scholarships for minority students pursuing a technical education at bachelor level and above. Open to US students only.
- Australian National University Computer Science Scholarships – Various international scholarships available for students from India, China and South-East Asia to study at Australian National University.
- The University of Wollongong PhD Scholarship – A scholarship to study a research doctorate degree in computing at the university.
Scholarships for women in computer science
- AWC Scholarship Fund for Women in Computing – Scholarships for women in computer science and technology programs at institutions in Washtenaw County, Michigan.
- Burlington Business and Professional Women’s Organization Science and Technology Scholarship – Scholarships for women in computer science and engineering, awarded to female students residing within certain counties in Vermont in the US.
- IBM SWE Scholarships – Computer engineering and computer science scholarships open to female students in the US. Funded by the Society of Women Engineers.
- MCWT Foundation Scholarships – Undergraduate and graduate US scholarships for female technology students at accredited universities.
- Palantir Scholarships for Women in Technology – International scholarships for women in computer science and other STEM-related subjects.
- The Google Anita Borg Scholarship – Google-funded international scholarships for women in computer science pursuing degrees in technology and computing at undergraduate and graduate level at a university in Europe, the Middle East or Africa.
- VIP Women In Technology Scholarship (WITS) – US scholarships for women in computer science studying for a degree in the fields of IT, computer science, management information systems and related fields. Open to US residents only.
- Microsoft Women's Fellowship Program – Microsoft scholarships for female students to study a PhD in the field of computing, at an eligible US university.
- Women in Defense Awards – Scholarships for women in computer science and other subjects relating to technological defense and/or national security in the US.
Find more scholarships for women in male-dominated industries here.
This article was originally published in October 2014. It was updated in February 2016.
Want more content like this? Register for free site membership to get regular updates and your own personal content feed.