New Zealand is a very appealing study destination for many – with great universities, high quality of life and stunning scenery, as well as a strong higher education system which has been ranked 16th in the new QS Higher Education System Strength Rankings. Studying in New Zealand can be on the expensive side, but luckily there are a number of New Zealand scholarships available to help…
Government-funded New Zealand scholarships:
- New Zealand Foreign Affairs and Trade Scholarships – Various scholarships at all study levels are available for students from various countries in the Pacific and some countries in the Commonwealth, including scholarships for developing countries. They are fully funded, covering tuition fees, a fortnightly living allowance and other expenses.
- New Zealand International Doctoral Research Scholarships – Provides a stipend covering full tuition fees and living expenses for up to three years for international students enrolled in a PhD program at a university in New Zealand. Awarded based on academic excellence.
- Fulbright New Zealand US Graduate Awards – Scholarships for students from the US to study a postgraduate or research program in any field at a university in New Zealand. Covers tuition, living costs, airfares and more.
University-specific New Zealand Scholarships:
- University of Auckland International Postgraduate Student Scholarships – Up to 10 scholarships of up to NZ$10,000 to study any taught master’s degree at the University of Auckland.
- Auckland University of Technology – Various scholarships for international students to study at the university.
- University of Canterbury – A range of scholarships for international students – you can personalize the results with the search tool.
- Lincoln University – The university’s scholarship database allows you to look for scholarships for your particular subject and study level.
- Massey University Doctoral Scholarship – Scholarships for both domestic and international students to study a doctorate at the university. Click on your intended college (such as health) for more information on applying.
- University of Otago – Various postgraduate-level scholarships to study at the university.
- Victoria University of Wellington – A range of scholarships aimed at international students, including the Latin American Academic Achievement Scholarship, which supports high-achieving Latin American students who have gained a place on a bachelor or master’s degree at the university.
- University of Waikato – Scholarships such as the International Excellence Scholarship, which is based on academic merit and available for students of all study levels; and the Michael Baldwin Memorial Scholarship, for students from the South Pacific (excluding Australia and New Zealand) who demonstrate financial need.
- Southern Institute of Technology – Scholarships for international students to study at the Southern Institute of Technology.
Other New Zealand scholarships:
- Education New Zealand Dream “NEW” Scholarship – Scholarships for eight students to commence a study abroad program in 2017. You must be an EU citizen or resident for at least two years, and be currently enrolled at a university in the EU.
- Christchurch Educated Skills Scholarship Program – New Zealand scholarships for Indian graduates to study at postgraduate level in Christchurch in disciplines related to the Christchurch rebuild program.
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand University Scholarships – Scholarships for students of economics, finance or banking at honors, master’s or PhD level and studying full time. Open to international students, provided they can legally work in New Zealand (the scholarship includes an offer of employment at the Reserve Bank after you’ve gained your qualification; if you do not accept this offer, you’ll need to repay the scholarship).
- Barbara Wood Memorial Foundation – Scholarships for students from the South Pacific to study in New Zealand or another country in the South Pacific.
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan – Scholarships for Canadian students to study a doctorate in any discipline at a university in New Zealand.
- R. H. T. Bates Postgraduate Scholarship – A scholarship for a domestic or international student enrolled on a doctorate in physical sciences and engineering at any university in New Zealand.
- AusIMM New Zealand Branch Education Endowment Trust Scholarships – Undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships for students enrolled in a New Zealand university on a course related to minerals.
Want more content like this? Register for free site membership to get regular updates and your own personal content feed.