In 1938, the nucleus of the Alexandria University had its beginning in the form of two satellite faculties of Fouad the First University. These were the faculties of Arts and Law. The faculty of Engineering was then established in 1941. In the light of the need for developing more disciplines for higher learning and with a view towards meeting the need of the people of Alexandria, Alexandria University, formerly known as Farouk University, became a separate entity in August 1942 with four additional faculties: Science, Commerce, Medicine and Agriculture. In 1952, it became "Alexandria University". Since then, the University witnessed growth and expansion in several fields: the number of Faculties and high institutes increased to 30. Some example of them are as follows: Faculty of Nursing, 1954 (formerly, High Institute of Nursing) Faculty of Pharmacy, 1956 High Institute of Public Health, 1963 Faculty of Education, 1969 Faculty of Dentistry, 1971 Medical Research Institute, 1971 Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, 1974 Institute of Graduate Studies & Research, 1983 Faculty of Tourism and Hotels, 1983 Alexandria University supervised the establishment of four satellite faculties in the Nile Delta.