Benha University (BU) traced its roots to the first high School of Agriculture in Egypt, founded in 1911, then as a branch of Zaqazig University in 1976. In 2005, BU gained its independence and ever since, this was achieved by launching a university wide campaign of faculty and staff training, as well as major laboratory and infrastructure reform. This campaign is increasing and ongoing focusing mainly on enhancing teaching, communication, and research skills, as well as, computer and IT capabilities, and quality assurance and control. Many of these projects were funded by international entities such as the World Bank and the European Union.
BU has about 4506 faculty and staff members serving about 127505 students. Because of its reputation, BU is increasingly attracting more international students from the Arab countries. Recently, BU exerted great efforts to raise the meaning of internationalization. BU is collaborating with the UK universities through the British Council institution. Also, BU is establishing an international office to increase and expand the area of cooperation with international organizations. BU has 15 colleges; five of them (Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Engineering, Science, and Agriculture) are equipped with good research laboratories and instruments; and are engaged in active research at both the national and international levels.
BU is the 13th university in foundation among the 17 universities. There are several places for campus at Benha, Mochtohor, and Shubra.
BU offers a wide range of Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree programs including:
It also has 180 acres of land in El Obour City have allocated for BU to meet the future expansion of the University. BU also includes some service units such as the General Administration of Students Care, three university cities for male students in Benha, Mochtohor, and Shubra in addition to two university cities for female students in Benha and Shubra as well as 36 centers and units that serve the university and the community.