The establishment of the erstwhile University of Cochin in 1971 was a commitment from the Government of Kerala towards the new scientific policy resolution adopted by the Central Government on 4th March 1958. The birth of the new University was with the specific purpose of “development of higher education with particular emphasis on post-graduate studies and research in applied science, technology, industry and commerce”. The University of Cochin was later reorganized as Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT) in February 1986.
CUSAT is academically structured into 9 faculties: Engineering, Environmental Studies, Humanities, Law, Marine Sciences, Medical Sciences & Technology, Science, Social Sciences and Technology.
CUSAT has at present 27 Departments of study and research offering Graduate and Post Graduate programmes across a wide spectrum of disciplines in frontier areas of engineering, science, technology, humanities, law & management.
Centres in specialized thematic areas have been established by the University, to encourage and promote collaborative, multi-disciplinary interaction. Conceived as umbrella organizations for inter-faculty interaction and joint enterprises, aimed at wholesome integration, assimilation and dissemination of knowledge beyond all sectarian confines, these Centres are expected to engage themselves in unfettered intellectual pursuits.