Lviv Polytechnic National University is the oldest technical higher educational institution in Ukraine and East Europe. It was founded like Technical academy in 1844. University consist of 16 institutes, 113 departments; autonomous, additional and general subdivisions.
Technical Academy was one of the first technical schools in Europe and first in Ukraine. In 1877 the academy was renamed on High Polytechnic School and was included as higher technical educational institution of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. That new academical year was started in new building located on S. Bandery Str. Since 1921 to 1939 academical institution was called Lviv Polytechnic. After Soviet Power in 1939 it was renamed on Lviv Polytechnic Institut. In June 1993, the year before its 150 anniversary, Lviv Polytechnic Institute get the highest IV accreditation level, university status and name “ Lviv Polytechnic State University”. In 2000 Lviv Polytechnic got National University status . 8 July 2009 the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine on their meeting designated Lviv Polytechnic National University as a self-management research higher educational institution.