National Technical University “Kharkov Polytechnic Institute” was founded in 1885. The integration of science and education has steadily provided a weighty breakthrough for NTU “KPI” both in training the engineering personnel and in research activities along with high rating and leading positions among institutions of higher education in Ukraine winning world-wide fame over its entire 130-year history. In 2000 the university was granted a national status and in 2010 it became a self-governing (autonomous) National Research University. Today NTU “KhPI” is among the leading educational and research centers within the higher education system in Ukraine. During its life the University gave training to about 200 000 specialists, including more than 4000 professionals from 94 countries all over the world. During the period of its independence the economy of Ukraine received more than 35 thousand of highly qualified graduates. Eleven new faculties and thirty nine departments have been set up. Today the university counts 24 faculties and 95 departments. It includes machine–tool technical school, military college, the Poltava Polytechnic College, scientific and technological library for two million volumes, inter-industry institute for postgraduate studies, research and methodical department, distance education center, research section, two research institutes and center for new information technologies.