Although Politécnica de Madrid is a Young university, having been founded only in 1971, most of its Schools are over a hundred years old, dating back of the 18th and 19th centuries and existing independently until they were grouped together as Politécnica de Madrid. It is not an exaggeration to say that much of the history of Spanish technology for over one and half centuries was written by the Schools of Architecture and Engineering of this university, as for many years some of them were the only Technical Schools in existence in their fields in Spain. Almost all the leading Spanish educators and researchers have been involved with Politécnica de Madrid either as students, teachers or both. Three Schools were founded in the 18th century. The School of Architecture, the oldest, was founded in 1752. The Naval and Mining Engineering Schools were established in 1772 and 1777 respectively. The Civil Engineering School was the first School to be founded in the 19th century, in the year 1802. Almost half a century later the School of Industrial Engineering was started in 1850. This School today covers numerous additional fields such as Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical and Nuclear Engineering.