The history of Kharkiv National University of Economics closely connected with the special institutions of business education, which were founded in Kharkiv during the rapid economic rise of late XIX – early XX century. At that time the city was the center of a huge territory, which had a semi-official name of the South of Russia. In the economic sense, it was a new industrial region, where the sector of mining and heavy industry were dynamically developing.
In 1888, at the initiative of Kharkiv businessman merchant Commerce Adviser M. Orlov the Kharkiv Commercial College was founded, it was opened in 1893, and in 1896 it was given the name of Emperor Alexander III.
Economic laboratory :In 1956 – 1960-ies the scientific and research laboratory on the economy of industry headed by prof. O. Lieberman operated in KhEEI. Its scientists’ offers created by the results of the research have been assumed as a basis of the concept of the economic reform of 1965.
Since the end of the 1980s, the Institute expands the range of areas of training of students, starting the training of the specialists in International Economics, Finance and Banking, staff management etc. 1994 the Institute was granted the status of State University of Economics.