Tomsk State University (TSU) is the largest classical university in the Asian part of Russia and an acknowledged centre of science, education, and innovation. It was founded 28 May 1878 by decree of Emperor Alexander II as Imperial Tomsk University.
Tomsk State University’s staff has included 31 members of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, and the Academy of Sciences of the CIS, over 50 State Prize winners, and 2 Nobel Prize winners. More than 150,000 TSU graduates and the university itself have influenced the progress of the educational, scientific, and cultural life of the region and Russia in general.
Today, there are 21 faculties and educational institutes, 24 dissertation councils, and 42 leading scientific schools at TSU, and there are over 15,000 students. The number of international students is continually increasing; currently there are about 2,000 students from 39 countries.
Since 2006, TSU has been a member of the European University Association (EUA).
In 2010, Tomsk State University won the competition for the status of National Research University, one of 15 in the country.
In 2016, TSU established Strategic Academic Units - interdisciplinary postgraduate institutes that focus on study of the transformations taking place...