Planning to study nursing and need some additional funding? Luckily there a wide range of scholarships available to help aspiring nurses achieve their ambitions. Check out these nursing scholarships on offer around the world, broken down by region…
Nursing scholarships to study in the US and Canada
- NURSE Corps Scholarship Program – Enables students accepted or enrolled in a diploma, associate, baccalaureate or graduate nursing programs, to receive funding for tuition, fees and other educational costs in exchange for working at an eligible NURSE Corps site upon graduation. Applicants must be US citizens (born or naturalized), nationals or lawful permanent residents.
- A Nurse I am Scholarship by Cherokee Uniforms – Awards up to 10 scholarships, each worth US$2,000, to nursing students.
- American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN) – Offers Continuing Professional Development Scholarships to help members acquire knowledge and skills beyond traditional academic nursing education. A limited number of scholarships for specific academic courses will continue to be awarded.
- American Assembly for Men in Nursing Foundation – A new US$1,000 scholarship program for male students pursuing qualified nursing education programs.
- National Black Nurses Association (NBNA) – Offers annual scholarships for students who are NBNA members or local chapter members, currently enrolled in an undergraduate nursing program, and have at least one full year of study remaining. Awards range from US$1,000 to $5,000.
- MinorityNurse.com – Lists scholarships and fellowships for students pursuing undergraduate or graduate studies in nursing.
- Northern Illinois University – Various scholarships available to study nursing. Only admitted nursing majors are eligible.
- Johnson & Johnson Discover Nursing Scholarships Database – Search and find scholarships in the US by state, study level and requirements with this handy tool, which lists over 370 nursing scholarships.
- Delta State University – A variety of scholarships on offer to study at the Robert E. Smith School of Nursing.
- Canadian Nurses Foundation – A range of awards to support Canadian students of nursing at various study levels, from baccalaureate to doctorate.
- University of Prince Edward Island (UPEI): The Audrey J. Tinney Nursing Scholarship and the Marilyn Buist Entrance Scholarship in Nursing each award CA$1,000 to a first-year student entering full-time studies in the nursing program at UPEI.
- The Friends of UPEI Calgary Bill and Denise Andrew Scholarship in Nursing awards up to CA$5,000 for students entering their nursing course who are from Calgary, while the Mary C. McInnis Entrance Scholarship in Nursing awards CA£1,500 to a graduating high school student from Prince Edward Island who is entering the first year of their nursing degree at UPEI with a high academic average.
- University of Alberta – The Isobel Secord Memorial Dean's Entrance Citation in Nursing and the University Hospital Foundation Ruth A. Van Dusen Dean's Entrance Citation in Nursing each give awards to students entering an undergraduate degree program in nursing at the university on the basis of academic merit. CA$8,000-10,000 is available over four years.
- Montfort Hospital – Six Montfort Clinical Excellence Scholarships of CA$6,000 each are available to study nursing in French. You must have an outstanding academic record and be registered in a baccalaureate nursing program at an Ontario university.
Nursing scholarships to study in Europe
- The Royal College of Nursing (RCN) – The RCN Hettie C. Hopkins Geriatric Nursing Scholarship is open to applications for a project or course of study that will promote the advancement of geriatric nursing in Wales. The applicant must work in Wales and hold a statutory qualification in nursing.
- The Barbers' Company Clinical Nursing Scholarship – Offers up to £7,500 to a student pursuing a career in clinical nursing by studying a related master’s in an academic department in the UK or at an approved academic department of nursing overseas.
- Glasgow Caledonian University – Available for self-funding international or home students studying MSc Nursing: Advancing Professional Practice, either full- or part-time.
- Margaret Parkinson Scholarships – Up to £2,000 per annum is available for graduates of a non-nursing degree who wish to begin training to become a nurse. Only open to students based in the UK.
- Cavell Nurses’ Trust – The Outstanding Student Nurse Award gives a tailored travel scholarship amount of £1,500 (and runners-up will receive a laptop or tablet). You should be in your second or third year of a BSc in Nursing, or in year two of a postgraduate diploma in nursing. A similar award is available for midwifery students.
- Buckinghamshire New University Nursing Bursary – UK and EU students studying nursing at undergraduate and postgraduate level can have their tuition fees paid in full if they win a bursary from the Department of Health. Eligible students are also able to apply for a non-means-tested annual grant of £1,000 from the NHS Bursary Scheme.
- University College Lillebælt – Scholarships are available for international students who are not from the European Union to study nursing.
Nursing scholarships to study in Australia or New Zealand
- The Australian College of Nursing (ACN) – ACN runs a number of scholarships funded by the Australian Government Department of Health and Department of Social Services. It is not required to be a member of ACN to apply for these scholarships.
- University of Sydney, Sydney Nursing School – Various scholarships available to study nursing at the university. Applications are open in February and offers are made in March.
- University of South Australia – The School of Nursing and Midwifery offers a range of scholarships.
- New Zealand Nurses’ Organization (NZNO) – Various grants and scholarships to study nursing, available for NZNO members only.
Want more content like this?Register for free site membership to get regular updates and your own personal content feed.