Although its origins date to 1826, the University in its present form is the result of the 1967 federation of Case Institute of Technology and Western Reserve University. The two institutions had shared adjacent campuses since the late nineteenth century, and were involved in cooperative efforts for many years. Today, Case Western Reserve's enrollment and resources, distributed among undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs that encompass the arts and sciences, dental medicine, engineering, law, management, medicine, nursing, and social work, achieve a balance that is distinctive among American universities.
Case Western Reserve University is located in University Circle, a 550-acre, park-like concentration of approximately 50 cultural, medical, educational, religious, and social service institutions located at the eastern edge of the city center. University Circle attracts visitors from throughout the region and the world to its concerts, theater performances, athletic events, art shows, public lectures, exhibits, and restaurants. Housing, shopping, and recreational facilities are all located in the area.