You are here

Interested in studying in United States?

Check out our comprehensive guide!

How Much Does it Cost to Study in the US?

How Much Does it Cost to Study in the US? main image

While the US remains the world’s most popular destination for international students, it’s also among the most expensive choices. However, although the headline costs of studying in the US may be daunting, often involving a string of five-digit numbers, it’s worth checking all the facts on fees and funding options before you make up your mind, as it may work out cheaper than you initially think.

In HSBC’s 2018 report, The Value of Education, the US again emerged among the top choices for parents considering university abroad for their child – but also one of the most expensive, with students spending an average of US$99,417 over the course of their degree.

With most undergraduate degrees at public universities costing $26,290 (according to student support organization College Board), for many prospective students attending university in the US may seem about as realistic as crashing at the White House while you look for a place to live.

But before you abandon all hope of spending your student years playing baseball, going to the drive-thru and generally carving out your own version of the American dream, be reassured: there may be a way.

Costs of study at different types of US university

Anyone familiar with the basic rules of averages will have realized that College Board’s estimate is likely to include significant variation in either direction – and this is true. At the very top-tier US universities (the majority of which are private non-profits), fees and living costs are likely to add up to around US$60,000 per year, but it’s also possible to study in the US at a much lower outlay.

Those seeking a more affordable option will find lower tuition fees at US universities within the public sector. These are typically run as state university systems – collections of colleges within a state, which share some administrative aspects while operating as separate institutions. Public universities in the US have two tuition fee rates: one for state residents and one for everyone else. The second (more expensive) category applies equally to applicants from other US states and from other countries. Private universities tend to be much smaller than public universities and have a more diverse student population (both from different states and different countries) due to the fact that tuition is the same price for all students. You can read more about how public and private US universities compare here.

According to College Board, published tuition fees for 2018/19 at state colleges are an average of US$10,230 for state residents, and $26,290 for everyone else. This compares to an average of $35,830 at private non-profit colleges. The cheapest options of all, however, are public-sector two-year colleges – also known as community, technical or city colleges – where average fees for 2018/19 are just $3,660.

Admittedly, you can’t complete a full degree at a two-year college, but you can gain an associate’s degree. This counts as the first half of a bachelor’s degree, which can then be completed by transferring to a university for an additional two or three years.

Average fees at US universities, 2018-19


Public two-year colleges

Public four-year colleges (in-state fees)

Public four-year colleges (out-of-state fees)

Private non-profit four-year colleges

Tuition and other fees








Room and board









Total (per year)









Source: College Board

When transport and other living expenses are factored in, College Board estimates the following annual budgets for undergraduate students in 2018/19:

  • $17,930 (community college)
  • $25,890 (in-state students at a four-year public college)
  • $41,950 (out-of-state students at a four-year public college)
  • $52,500 (private non-profit four-year college)

While these averages provide a helpful overview of the broad range of study costs in the US, it’s worth remembering there remains significant variation in tuition fees charged by each type of institution. At the most prestigious public universities, for instance, fees may be just as high as those in the private sector. For instance, the University of Michigan (one of the highest-ranked public US universities in the QS World University Rankings®) estimates fees for new out-of-state students in fall/winter 2018/19 at $49,350, on top of additional costs of $11,534 for room and board, $1,048 for books and study supplies and $2,454 for personal and miscellaneous items. This adds up to a total annual cost of $64,386, or $70,356 for graduate students.

What funding is available to study in the US?

When assessing the costs of studying in the US, it’s usual to distinguish between the “sticker price” – the published rates – and the amount students actually pay once various sources of funding and financial aid are considered. Unlike in other countries, it’s rare for US students to pay the full tuition amount. In 2015/16, 85 percent of full-time undergraduate students at four-year universities in the US received some form of financial aid, including 83 percent of those at public colleges and 89 percent at private non-profit colleges.

Often, the most prestigious US universities – with the highest sticker prices – offer the most generous funding opportunities. At MIT, the highest-ranked university in the US (and the world), 58 percent of undergraduates receive financial aid. At Caltech, almost 60 percent of undergraduates receive aid, while 98 percent of graduate students and 99% of doctoral candidates receive full financial support. Similar figures are cited by most other leading US universities, with forms of support including scholarships, grants, assistantships and work-study schemes.

While some funding avenues are only open to US citizens, there are also lots of aid opportunities available to international students. The University of Pennsylvania, for instance, allocates over $9 million every academic year in funding specifically for undergraduates from outside of the US, Canada and Mexico. According to data collected by US NewsHarvard University allocated aid to 594 international undergraduates in 2017/18, with the average grant standing at $64,459, while Columbia University awarded an average of $66,350 to a total of 257 international undergraduates.

Funding information is provided on each US university’s website, and students should usually apply for financial aid at the same time as their application is submitted. A small number of elite US universities also have “need-blind” admission policies for all applicants. This means students’ financial background is not considered during the admissions process, and the university pledges to provide sufficient aid to ensure every successful applicant is able to attend.

How can you calculate your own costs of studying in the US?

In recent years, it’s become easier for individual students to calculate how much they could expect studying in the US to cost. All US universities are now legally required to include a fees and financial aid calculator on their websites, allowing students to get a rough idea of how much their intended course of study would cost and what aid they may be eligible for. These “net price calculators” can be accessed via the government’s College Affordability and Transparency Center, which also provides details of the US universities with the highest and lowest tuition fees and net costs.

This article was originally published in February 2012. It was most recently updated in May 2019.

Want more content like this? Register for free site membership to get regular updates and your own personal content feed.

Related categories:

Praise J, Victor Seung Myung L & 156 others saved this
Written by Laura Bridgestock
The former editor of TopUniversities.com, Laura oversaw the site's editorial content and student forums. She also edited the QS Top Grad School Guide and contributed to market research reports, including 'How Do Students Use Rankings?'

Want to leave a comment?

Please login or register to post
comment above our articles


Hi , I want to pursue master's in management (merchandising & buying) but unable to find the correct university for that matter with scholarship - can you please help ??


hello my name is rana im from morocco ,i just graduated so im a software engineer now but i wanna come to the usa and work there what shall i do? shall i make an equivalence for my diploma there or need to study for a master .. . ? what are the universities that accepts foreign students and how i can apply for a schollarship .
waiting for your advice and
response thank you .

Hi, im from mexico and im in the last year at the highchool at Uaemex (is a university of the state and teaches in highschool too). really i want to study in the usa cinematography, but i dont know how to apply at that kind of school, and what school is more easy to apply for a mexican in my case. and if i course some semesters here in i dont know, Unam, can i have more facility to go to USA for study?

Is it possible that someone tell about the cost of industrial engineering PHD?

Hi im from Vietnam and I am a sophomore in highschool. I am going to study in US 3-4 years later and Computer Science/Information is what I am persuing for. Are there any available scholarship that I am eligible for? Additionally sub-tropical states like Florida and Alabama would be more preferable. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Hi Vuong, here's a link to our list of scholarships to study in the US, and we also have US scholarships included in our list of scholarships to study computer science.

Hi, im from New Zealand and still in high school. After I graduate I really want to go to USA for study and live there. I want to study a radiati
on technology program preferably in Pennsylvania area. Help please?

Hi Jasmine, our complete guide on how to study abroad in the US should help to get you started with planning your studies in the US. We don't currently rank radiation technology in our subject rankings, but we do have a ranking for engineering and technology, which can be narrowed down to show only US universities.

Assalamualaikum...I am Shihab from Bangladesh.I have just completed my intermediate level.I really want to go USA for study and to settle there .I want to study Biological subjects there .Need a little help please.

hi am from nepal I want to study computer science in u.s.a so can you guide me ?

hi,i want to study civil engineeering in U.S.A ,can you explain or guid me?

How i can get imformation

Hi Talha, you can get detailed information on studying abroad in the US in our complete guide. To help you to choose a university, you could view our latest ranking for civil engineering and narrow the results down to show only US universities. Hope this helps! 

I am Joshua from Nigeria
I wanna study mechanical engineering in us
How do I go about it
Pls help

Hi Joshua, our complete guide on how to study abroad in the US should help to get you started. To help you to choose a university, you could view our latest rankings by subject for mechanical engineering, with the results narrowed down to show only US universities. Hope this is helpful :)

Hi I'm Dawran from Afghanistan.
And I want to study medicine in us for free. or any other countries in english language
My percentage in school is 97%. What can I do

I have completed my intermediate in A1 grade, I wanna bachelor in medicine, please suggest me funded scholarship.... Regards

Hi Aizaz, please take a look at our list of medical scholarships around the world and scholarships to study in the US

is there any chance of getting fully funded for bachelor of medicine in US
if possible then plz do reply . Actually i cant afford to study there.
But if possible on the merit basis then plz do me this favour.

I want to take a degree from abroad but it is too costly... Is there any kind of scholarship to study for free? Does ielts help?

Please write to me for details on Admission in Medicine (MBBS, MD)

hey i also want to do that do tell me if u get t know about this...

Hi! My name is Hilda . I am from Albania . I have studied English Language and Literature , Barchelor . I want to study the Master in USA . What do i need to apply there ? In Which university should i apply ?

Hi Hilda, our complete guide on how to study abroad in the US should help to get you started, and includes advice on how to apply. If you'd like to continue studying English for your masters, you can view the top universities for your subject here (the results can be narrowed down by country to show only US universities). Hope this helps! 

I want to do my M. Sc in USA with scholarship and I want to do any part time job in USA and I want to finish my study in below 10 lakhs help me please......

Hello,my name is nilesh and I want to achieve MA in english language please help.

Hi Nilesh, if you'd like to study in the US, you might like to start by reading our guide on how to study abroad in the US. To help you to choose a university, you could view our latest rankings by subject for English language - the results can be narrowed down by country to show the best US universities for your subject. Hope this helps!

when a student is enrolled in the US.can he/she eventually become a citizen in the US AND IF YES HOW

Hi Timothy, you can, but it's a complicated process - please take a look at our article on how to get a US work visa. :)

Study in Chile and get Permanenet Residency in 2 Years.

Study Nursing in Chile and Get Permanent Residency in 2 Years

Study in Chile(Santiago) for Nursing/MBBS/Health Management courses.As like all other Universities in Russia,Ukraine,Phillipines and China,Chile is offering MBBS at a very affordable price to International students.It is an excellent oppurtunity for your students to study in Chile and at the same time get Permanent Residency in just 2 years unlike any other countries and Citizenship in 5 years.None of the other countries is offering this advantage to International students.Students have to go back to thier country after course completion wheras immediately after completing of 5 years of studies,student can apply for Citizenship which entitles them for Visa on Arrival for 32 countries and right to keep DUAL CITIZENSHIP.

What will be the cost of study? Average monthly earning for part time student.

HI Laura . Iam Faizullah from afghanistan . i am seeing scholarships in bachelors degree in USA or maybe in Germeny. please let me if there are possibilities . because i cant really afford that huge amount of money , Thank you

Hi Faizullah, please take a look at our lists of scholarships to study in the US and scholarships to study in Germany. You might also like to apply for our QS Undergraduate Scholarship, which awards up to US$10,000 to one student starting an undergraduate program at any QS-ranked university. Good luck! 

My name is jyothish
I want to study hotal management in abroad can u contact me plse and about the fees
I am from India (Kerala)
Plse answer me fast

Hi, I am Hewan from Nepal. I want to study Computer Engineering in University of Colorado. What sort of scholarships are available for Nepalese students???

Hi Hewan, I don't know of any scholarships specifically for Nepalese students, but we've listed a range of computer science scholarships here. I'd also recommend checking the University of Colorado's official website for information on scholarships you could apply to. 

Hi ,I am Hrishikesh from Indis.i am currently pursuing my b.tech in civil from coep in pune. I would like to do ms in structural engineering.could you please provide me info on the best college for the course with their fees structure and scholarships program

Hi I am Pratik from Nepal and completed my highschool and willing to study computer science in USA. Would you please provide me the fee structures and scholarships to study there.?

Hi Pratik. The fees will vary depending on the university. In addition to the information provided in the article above, you may also want to take a look at our list of international scholarships to study in the US, and our complete guide to studying abroad in the US.

hi my name is neo i'll be completing my grade 12 next and i would like to study medicine in the university of washington can you pleas assist me with more information as when to apply and the financial assistance as well thank you

Hi Neo, application deadlines to study in the US are usually in January, but you can find the exact date by checking the University of Washington's website, which should also have a section on scholarships and funding opportunities. You can browse a range of other scholarships to study in the US here. Hope this helps!

My high school entering daughter is studying in Washington USA for the past 5 years and I hold a H1B visa and my daughter eventually H4. We migrated from another country 5 years back and we are not citizens of US and we don't hold Green card as well. Can you please tell me whether the fee structure for the US universities going to be same for us, or, will we be considered as international student and our fee structure going to be high and different. How does the fee structure matters with regarding to green card or the status in US ? Please provide more insight into this. Thank you.

The most prestigious American universities - with the highest prices Sticker - offering the most generous funding options. At MIT, the highest ranked university in the US (and the world), 90% and 86% of university graduates and professional students receive financial aid. At Caltech, almost 60% of university students to get help, while 98% of university graduates and 99% of doctoral students receive full financial support.

hii this is ezhilarasan .iwould like to pursue my masters in civil engineering.what would be the possible score in gre to study at MIT in US

Hi! These details can be found under the program details on MIT's official website. If you still cannot find them, contact the admissions team directly. L

Hii this is divyanshu Kapadiya. I have completed master of pharmacy from the department of medicinal chemistry. I want to get fully funded PhD course in toppest university of US. Need you proper guidance. Thanx.

Hi there, to find the names of leading US universities for pharmacy & pharmacology, see our latest subject ranking. From there, you can research each university via their official website to see if they offer PhD placements in your specialization and/or financial aid. This may take a while but is the best way to find leading programs. To get more information on PhD funding see this article and this guide to graduate funding.

To learn more about graduate study in the US, see our guide for international students.

Laura :)

I am 34 years old graduate of Bs CompSci in my country, but my profession now in Turkey is ESL teacher. I am planning to take an undergraduate school related to my profession probably an education course. US is my choice but according to the agents, It would be hard for me to study in US because of my age. Does age really matters in studying?

Hi Jennifer. As far as I'm aware, age shouldn't be an impediment for you to gain a place at university, so long as you fulfil the admissions criteria.

Hey...i m from india and i m from middle class family...i want to study abroad but i can't afford to study...can u please give me the full information about fee structure....