If you’re a prospective international student planning to study in Europe at bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral level, you may well be eligible for a scholarship.
UK scholarships are listed in an article all of their own, as are scholarships for Germany, scholarships for Russia and scholarships to study in the Nordic countries. Scroll down the list below for a range of other scholarships to study in Europe…
To study anywhere in Europe:
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships – Initiative led by the European Commission to provide funding for students all over the world to study in Europe at selected institutions.
To study in Austria:
- Austrian Government Scholarships – monthly scholarships of €940 euros available for up to four months for international students of all study levels.
- Grants.at – A searchable database of scholarships to study abroad in Austria.
To study in Belgium:
- CIUF-CUD Scholarships in Belgium for Developing Countries – Opportunities to gain funding to study in Belgium for training or research at master’s level. Open to students internationally.
- VLIR-UOS Scholarships for Developing Countries – Offering scholarships for students from developing countries in parts of Africa, Asia and Latin America to undertake training, research or study in Belgium at selected institutions.
- Ghent University Master Grants – Scholarships for students from developing countries who are currently in their first year of a scientific master’s degree at Ghent University in Belgium.
- KU Leuven Science Scholarships for International Students – The [email protected] scholarship is aimed at international students interested in undertaking study in Belgium at master’s level within the faculty of science at KU Leuven.
- KU Leuven IRO PhD Scholarships for Developing Countries – Open to prospective PhD students from developing countries to study in Belgium within the Interfaculty Council for Development Cooperation at KU Leuven.
To study in the Czech Republic:
- Czech Government Scholarships for Developing Countries – Government scholarships enabling international students to undertake study (at bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral level) at institutions across the Czech Republic. Czech is the language of instruction for most programs offered.
- The South Moravian Center for International Mobility – Scholarships are available for international students from outside the EU who are undertaking a master’s or PhD degree at one of the center’s partner universities, mainly for study programs in technical and natural science.
To study in France:
- Eiffel Scholarships in France for International Students – Open to international students at master’s/PhD level wishing to study in France at selected institutions.
- Emile Boutmy Scholarships in France for International Students – Opportunities for bachelor’s and master’s degree students from outside of the EU to gain funding to study in France at Sciences Po.
- Fondation Rainbow Bridge MBA Scholarships for African and Asian Women – MBA scholarships for students from developing countries in Africa and Asia to study in France at HEC Paris. Open to female students only.
- École Normale Supérieure de Lyon – Scholarships to study one of the selected master’s programs at ENS de Lyon.
To study in Greece:
- Greek Government Scholarships for Foreign Students – More than 50 scholarships for international students wishing to undertake undergraduate or postgraduate study or a research project in host universities and institutions across Greece.
To study in Hungary:
- Hungarian Government Scholarships for Foreign Students – Scholarships for international students to study in Hungary, funded by the Hungarian government. Open to students of all levels.
- The Stipendium Hungaricum – Provides scholarships which cover tuition fees, medical insurance, accommodation and a monthly stipend for citizens of partner countries to study in Hungary at either bachelor’s or master’s level.
To study in Italy:
- Bocconi Scholarships in Italy for International Students – Scholarships for international students to study a master of science program at Bocconi University. Includes a full tuition waiver.
- Italian Government Scholarships for Foreign Students – Scholarships for international students at all degree levels to study in Italy at various public institutions. Also open to Italian citizens resident abroad (IRE).
- UNIPV International Scholarships for Developing Countries – Scholarships from the University of Pavia (UNIPV), open to international students from developing countries to study in Italy at master’s level on selected programs.
- University of Bologna Study Grants for International Students – Funding opportunities for international students at bachelor’s and master’s level to study in Italy at the University of Bologna.
To study in the Netherlands:
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarships for Excellent International Students – merit-based scholarships to study in the Netherlands at the University of Amsterdam. Open to talented master’s degree students from outside the EU or EEA.
- Anne van den Ban Scholarships for Developing Countries at Wageningen University – Scholarships for international students from developing countries in the Middle East and Eastern Europe to study agriculture, food or environment-related programs at master’s level at Wageningen University. Sponsored by the Anne van den Ban Fund.
- Eric Bleumink Fund Scholarships at the University of Groningen – Open to all master’s level international students undertaking further study in the Netherlands at the University of Groningen.
- Holland Scholarship – Available for non-EEA international students to study at participating universities in the Netherlands at bachelor’s or master’s level.
- Leiden University Excellence Scholarships (LExS) – Merit-based scholarships for master’s degree (MA/MSc/LLM) students at Leiden University in the Netherlands. Not available to EU/EEA students.
- Netherlands Fellowship Programmes (NFP) – Government-funded international scholarships to study in the Netherlands on a short course, master’s or PhD. Prioritized candidates include female applicants and applicants from sub-Saharan Africa.
- Orange Tulip Scholarship Programme – Nuffic-funded scholarships for students from developing countries in Asia and Latin America, including China, Indonesia, South Korea, Mexico and Brazil, to study in the Netherlands.
- Radboud Scholarship Programme – Scholarship opportunities for non-EEA students to study an English-taught master’s degree at Radboud University in Nijmegen, Netherlands.
- UM High Potential Scholarships for International Students – Merit-based scholarships for international students to study in the Netherlands at master’s level within Maastricht University. Only open to students from outside of the EU/EEA.
- University of Twente Scholarships (UTS) – International scholarships to study in the Netherlands on a selected master’s program at the University of Twente.
- VU Fellowship Programme (VUFP) – Scholarships for talented students to study a selection of English-taught master's programs at VU University Amsterdam. Only for students who are not of Dutch nationality.
- World Citizen Talent Scholarship for International Students – Merit-based scholarships to study in the Netherlands offered by The Hague University of Applied Sciences. Open to both bachelor’s and master’s students.
To study in Slovakia:
- Slovak Government Scholarships for Selected Developing Countries – Government-funded international scholarships for students from developing countries to pursue higher education in Slovakia at any degree level. Open to students from selected countries within the Middle East, Eastern Europe and Asia.
To study in Spain:
- GSE Scholarships in Economics for Developing Country Students – Al master’s applicants are automatically considered for scholarships when offered a place to study at Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Zaragoza Logistics Center – Various scholarships for admitted students of master’s of logistics and related courses at this research institute, including scholarships for African students.
- Spanish Studies Abroad – Scholarships to study abroad in a Spanish-speaking country, including a diversity scholarship for underrepresented students.
To study in Switzerland:
- ETH Zurich Excellence Masters Scholarship Program – Merit-based scholarships are available to students who wish to pursue their master’s degree at ETH Zurich.
- Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars and Artists – Merit-based scholarship opportunities for international students undertaking postgraduate-level study in Switzerland at selected institutions.
- UNIL Master’s Grants in Switzerland for Foreign Students – Scholarships to study in Switzerland at the University of Lausanne on a master’s program. Excludes some courses.
- University of Bern Master’s Grants for International Students – Six international scholarships available to master’s students undertaking study in Switzerland at the University of Bern. Excludes biomedical science and medicine.
- UNU Fellowship in International Organizations MBA Merit Scholarships – Scholarships to study in Switzerland at the University of Geneva on an MBA program. Open to mid-career professionals from developing countries only.
This article was first published in September 2014. It was updated in December 2015.