You are here

How Much Does it Cost to Study in the UK?

How Much Does it Cost to Study in the UK? main image

UK tuition fees are frequently under the media spotlight, following price hikes for home students (UK/EU) in recent years, including the latest news that English universities will charge home/EU students up to £9,250 (~US$11,380) per year from autumn 2017. 

International undergraduate tuition fees vary considerably, starting at around £10,000 (~US$12,300) and going up to £35,000 (~US$43,100) or more for medical degrees. At all levels, humanities and social sciences degrees tend to cost the least, while laboratory and clinical degree programs are markedly more expensive.

Combine these fees with the average cost of living in the UK, around £12,000 (~$14,750), and the total average cost of studying in the UK comes up to at least £22,000 (~$27,040) per year. Studying in the capital city, meanwhile, is likely to be significantly more expensive.

While these costs may be daunting, remember that most UK universities offer shorter programs compared to countries such as the US (three years for the average undergraduate degree instead of four, and one year for a master’s degree instead of two), so you may be able to subtract a year's worth of fees and living costs from your total budget!

Students’ cost of living in the UK

Study in the UK

According to the UK’s National Union of Students (NUS), the average annual cost of living in England (outside of London) for students is UK£12,056 (~US$14,800). Most students will spend around £150 (~US$180) per month on food and groceries, or £1,350 (~US$1,660) per academic year.

If you wish to study in London, you should expect to pay £15,180 (~US$18,700) per year for the same breakdown of goods and services. The biggest difference in the cost of living in London compared to the rest of England is in rent, with University College London (UCL) estimating accommodation expenses of £8,034 (~US$9,900) per academic year (nine months). However, you may be able to find more affordable accommodation in university halls or a flat share.

As the NUS points out, the figures for the rest of England can only be used as a rough guide to the overall cost of living in the UK. But they are roughly consistent with the amounts specified by the UK Border Agency (UKBA), which asks international students to provide evidence that they can afford to live and study in the UK for a specified period before being granted a Tier 4 (General) student visa.

For visa purposes, international students undertaking study in London must budget £1,265 (~US$1,550) for each month of stay, while those who study outside of London will have to show £1,015 (~US$1,250) per month in order to prove they can cover the cost of living in the UK. You can find out more about applying for your UK student visa here.

UK tuition fees – UK/EU students

University of Cambridge

There are two levels of tuition fees at publicly funded UK universities: home student fees (including EU students) and international student fees. For home students, institutions in England can charge up to a maximum of £9,250 (~US$11,370) per year for undergraduate degree programs, and in Wales up to £9,000 (~US$11,050). In Northern Ireland the limit is £3,925 (US$4,830) for EU and Northern Irish students, and up to £9,250 for students from the rest of the UK.

In Scotland an undergraduate degree is effectively free for students from Scotland and the EU. This is thanks to a subsidy from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). The SAAS also offers a tuition fee loan of up to £3,400 (~US$4,170) for home postgraduate students.

It should be noted that the Scottish definition of “home” student differs slightly, in that it doesn’t include students from the rest of the UK – i.e. England, Wales or Northern Ireland. Students from the rest of the UK who want to undertake an undergraduate degree in Scotland will pay up to £9,250 a year.

There’s also good news for students from Wales, who only need to pay £3,900 (~US$4,800) per year in UK tuition fees to study anywhere in the UK, with the rest covered by the Welsh government.

Postgraduate tuition fees vary significantly, depending on the university and the subject. Home students may be able to receive some funding from one of the UK’s research councils, the university itself, or via a career sponsorship scheme.

UK tuition fees – international students

For international students, undergraduate fees for 2016/17 started at around £10,000 (US$12,300) for lecture-based courses, going up to £35,000 (~US$43,060) or more for an undergraduate medical degree at the top of the price range.

At postgraduate level, international fees for classroom-based programs in 2016/17 started at £9,700 (~US$11,930) and went up to £32,000 (~US$39,350). For laboratory-based programs, average annual fees vary from £9,900 (~US$12,180) up to £25,000 (~US$30,800), while for clinical degree programs the annual fees start at around £11,250 (~US$13,900) and are as high as £42,000 (~US$51,700) for programs such as medicine.

UK scholarships and student funding

UK Scholarships

Home (UK/EU) students are eligible for loans, grants and other forms of funding to cover their UK tuition fees, with differing amounts of funding depending on location. While student loans for home students tend to cover all tuition fees, the additional loan to cover the cost of living in the UK often falls short of the amount actually needed – the maximum living loan in the 2017-2018 academic year is UK£8,430 (~$10,400) for students outside London and up to £11,002 (~US$13,560) for those who study in London.

Undergraduate home students at private UK universities (there are only three) can still apply for tuition fee loans for most courses, as well as maintenance loans and maintenance grants. However, the tuition fee loan might not cover the full amount.

A large range of scholarships to study in the UK are also offered by the government, individual universities, independent organizations and various charities. The Education UK website provides a searchable database of 3,000 scholarships for international and home students. It is also worth checking to see what scholarships and support schemes are available from the government and other organizations in your own country.

Prominent UK scholarships for international students include:

  • Chevening Scholarships – Government-funded UK scholarships open to outstanding students with leadership potential from around the world, to study at postgraduate level at accredited UK universities.
  • Marshall Scholarships – Scholarships for high-achieving US students to study in the UK.
  • Commonwealth Scholarships and fellowships – UK scholarships offered by member governments to citizens of other Commonwealth countries.

UK scholarships are more widely available at postgraduate level, with relatively few offered for undergraduate students. However, always check with your chosen university, as support is often available for exceptional undergraduate students.

For a longer list of prominent international scholarships to study in the UK, see this article. For advice on scholarship applications, download our guide on how to find scholarships to study abroad

What impact will Brexit have?

The UK’s decision to exit the European Union (Brexit) means many EU students are concerned that their tuition fees could increase. Many UK universities have pledged to keep tuition fees fixed at the same rate for current EU students for the duration of their course. It’s also been confirmed that EU students enrolling at English and Welsh universities in autumn 2017 will remain eligible for the same financial aid throughout their course, regardless of when the UK actually leaves the EU. Likewise, the Scottish government has confirmed that EU students undertaking an undergraduate program in Scotland in the 2017/2018 academic year will be charged no tuition fees throughout their course.

This article was originally published in October 2013. It was updated in March 2015 and again in January 2017.

Want more content like this? Register for free site membership to get regular updates and your own personal content feed.

Related categories:

Keegan S, Lidia v & 68 others saved this
Laura Tucker's profile image
Written by Jane Playdon
Jane Playdon is a author and blogger.

Want to leave a comment?

Please login or register to post
comment above our articles


Hi Jane I'm from India and wanted to know what is the annual fees for under graduate studies and living cost per year

Hi Jane, my daughter is 16 and has lived in the UK for the past 15 years. We all have German passports. With Brexit on the way, does this mean that when she goes to university in 2019 that she will be considered an international student and have to pay international student fees?

Hi Jane, my daughter would like to study medicine in the Uk, she is a British Citizen but has live most of her life in the USA, would she be consider as a international student?

Hi my son just received an offer from University of Glasgow but they are assessing him as overseas. He is a British Citizen but has lived in Italy since he was 4 years ol.d. I thought that this would classify him under paying EU national fees since he's been in Italy for the past 3 years. Could you clarify this? I need to write them back and let them know if they have him in the wrong classification.

Hi Gina, yes, it definitely sounds like your son has been given the wrong fee status, and he should be classed as an EU student. 

Hi ,
Im a Mauritian and im interested in accounting and finance.
So could you help me out for the semester fees and living costs ?

What finances do i show for the tier 4 visa if I am availing a bank loan?

So I'm a British citizen,and have lived in England from when I was born to the age of 8 years old . I moved to India,and lived there till the age of 16. I have moved back straight after my 16th birthday,and by the time I go to uni,I'll have been living here for 2.5 years(excluding the 8 years i spent here after I was born)
Will I be classified an international or home student?

Hi Rakesh, generally you will need to have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least three years prior to the start of your course. However, you could contact your university to double check whether you're classified as an international or home student. 

I want to know the English language requirement for under graduation and post graduation for study in UK

I want to study in England bs electrical engneering. I have 28000 euro. i s this enough or more money required

Hi Zafar, I'm afraid I can't really answer your question, due to the immense variety between course fees - you'll need to check the official website/s of the UK universities you're interested in to get an estimate of the course fees for your year of study.

You'll also need at least the equivalent of £12,000 for living costs unless you study in London, which is notoriously more expensive! If you find you need a little help with financing your studies, you could try applying for a scholarship - we've listed a range of scholarships to study in the UK here and you could also consider applying for the QS Undergraduate Scholarship. Hope this helps!

What if an international student (outside of EU) goes to high school in England? Will he/she be considered as home or international student?

Hello everyone,
I'm a British citizen but i was born and raised abroad, and did my bachelors abroad as well, I'm considering going for a postgraduate degree in the UK but wondering whether I'll be considered an international student or a home student despite the fact that I haven't been educated in the UK..
Kindly advise

Hi Raghda, fee status is based on residence rather than nationality, and you typically need to have resided in the UK for at least three years before the start of your course to be considered a home student, although these requirements vary between universities. I think you'll probably be classed as an international student, but you could double check this by contacting the international offices of the universities you're interested in. Hope this helps.

I would like to ask you about some information regarding the European student living outside Europe.
I am a Jordanian citizen and I have a Hungarian residence permit so am I considered to pay International student fee (UK£11,987) or European student fee (UK£9,000) ?

Hi Ahmed, I am not sure in this case - I think it would depend on how long you've been resident in Hungary and whether your relevant family members are EU nationals. I'd recommend getting in touch with the UK universities you're interested in to find out which fee status you would be classed as. 

I am Brazilian and I was accepted into a master's program at UAL and I would like to know if there are loan options for foreigners stunds in the UK.

<p>There are times that we encounter the hardness of life emotionally, spiritually and sometimes financially. During financial constraints we have lots of choices however some of it is complicated. The best way, there are still good people who are willing to help other during this tough circumstance. On top of that, eliminating payday cash advances would mean many people would end up with no way to get help once in a while.&nbsp;</p>

It is much more expensive to study in UK or in USA what I expected but I would prefer a scholarship for undergraduate studies. Now I just want to know what I need to do to get the scholarship to study in UK or USA.