UK Visas: Guide for Indian Students | Top Universities

UK Visas: Guide for Indian Students

By Staff Writer

Updated April 4, 2021 Updated April 4, 2021

Are you an Indian student preparing to study in the UK? Get your student visa questions answered here.

The UK is home to some of most prestigious institutions of higher education in the world, and it, therefore, is one of the most popular study abroad destinations in the world.

More than 26,000 Indian students come to the UK to study each year. Want to join them? Here’s what you need to know about getting a visa…

What type of visa do I need?

To study in the UK as an adult student you will need to acquire a Tier 4 visa. If you are yet to be accepted into an institution, then you will need a prospective student visa, and if the duration of your stay will be less than six months, then you should apply for a Student Visitor visa.

How much does it cost?

Applying for a Tier 4 visa from India will cost you £255 (INR 19,212).

How long does it take to process?

UK student visa applications are processed within 3 weeks (15 working days) of the completed application being lodged. Students can contact VFS, who manage visa application centres for the UK Border Agency in India, on (040) 66305600 (Monday-Friday between 8am to 5pm) to enquire about any delays.

Applicants can also track their visa application by subscribing to the VFS SMS alert service or utilizing their online tracking system.

Can I work while I study?

Holders of Tier 4 visas are permitted to work 20 hours a week during term time, and full-time during holidays and semester breaks. Relevant internships or work placements are also permitted, so long as they are marked as part of a degree/course.

Can I bring my family along?

Under new rules which came into effect in 2011, only overseas students sponsored by a higher education institution on a course of more than one year, or foreign students who are government sponsored for a course no longer than six months will be allowed to bring their children or partners to the UK.

Students under the age of 18 will not be permitted to bring partners or children who will be dependent on them financially. If you are on a Tier 4 visa, and studying for a course below degree level, your family members will not have the permission to work in the UK.

Can I work after completing my degree?

Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) visas will cease to exist as of April 2012. It hasn't yet been announced what its replacement will be. Up till April 2012, overseas students can still apply for this visa.

Those interested in working in the UK after their studies may also consider applying for a Tier 2 visa if they are looking to work in an occupation currently facing a shortage of qualified employees.

Bear in mind…

In August 2011 the Tier 1 (Exceptional talent) visa category was created. Under this 1,000 places (by 31st March 2012) will be allotted to outstanding individuals who have been identified as ‘leaders in their respective fields’.

Useful contacts

British High Commission
Chanakyapuri, New Delhi-110021
Telephone: +91 (0) 11 2419 2100

VFS Office, Delhi
Upper Ground
Floor, S-2 Level,
International Trade
Tower,Nehru Place,
New Delhi 110019

VFS Office, Chandigarh
SCO 62 63, Sector 8 C,
Madhya Marg,
Chandigarh 160018

VFS Office, Mumbai (south)
Ground Floor, Apsara Complex,
Dr. Dadasaheb Bhadkamkar Marg, Grant Road East,
Mumbai 400 007

VFS Office, Chennai
Symphony Palace, Door No 744/450 Poonamallee High Road, Kilpauk, Chennai
600 010

VFS Office, Kolkata
ABHILASHA-II, Ground Floor, 6, Royd Street, Kolkata 700 016

This article was originally published in October 2012 . It was last updated in April 2021

Want more content like this Register for free site membership to get regular updates and your own personal content feed.

Written by


Monthly updates
QS Community
QS Community

Get the latest student and graduate news straight to your inbox.

Sign me up
Course Matching Tool
Course Matching Tool
Course Matching Tool

Use our tool to find your perfect course. Answer a few questions and we will do the rest!

Start Matching
QS Leap
Test Preparations
Test Preparations

Free test prep platform with practice questions and more.

Start Now